It’s the start of another year- a time to start afresh and make new plans, hoping to redeem what has not been so successful the past year and wish for the best this time around.
A lot of people write their new year’s resolution, plans and what-nots. Personally, I prefer spending the first days of the year reflecting and writing 10 declarations/prayers for the year in my journal. Then throughout the year, I tick off whatever prayer has been answered. I’ve done this for the past 3 years now and so far most of the prayers on my list, if not all, have been answered!
This time, I’m putting my prayers out there, to encourage readers and friends to start writing their own 10 prayers for 2014. Know that the God who created the universe, cares for you and like a loving Father, He grants your requests according to His purposes for your life (read Jeremiah 20:11)! I encourage you to try this out. Pray and reflect, talk to God about what you want for this year, and start writing!
This 2014, I won’t be starting from scratch. My 2013 was decorated with colorful events like getting married and getting pregnant, but at the same time I also encountered challenges that made last year a roller-coaster ride… and that season didn’t end there. I won’t go into details but like everything God has taught me so far, I know that everything I experience has a purpose. And this year is a continuation of that season. As I’m slowly picking up the ashes from the challenges of last year, I’m eager to watch how God will transform them into beauty this year. I begin my year with hope!
So here’s my list of 10 prayers/declarations. Start coming up with your own 10 prayers too!
1. Safe and Normal Delivery – As my due date approaches, I feel quite nervous with my first labor and delivery experience. And like all mothers, I don’t dream of having a c-section operation. Aside from being expensive, it would take a longer time to recover than with normal delivery. I’m just praying that everything will go smoothly and that there won’t be any unpleasant surprises! Lord, please make me courageous and strong.
2. Healthy and Happy Baby – Aside from being the cutest baby around, I’m just praying that God would keep him in perfect health as he finally makes his debut to the world!
3. Grace for Becoming first-time Parents – The second half of 2013, Ico and I began our exciting journey as husband and wife. And this year, we will embark on a new journey, and this time it comes with a new member of our family! It’s exciting to wait for the first person we will proudly call “anak“. But there’s also a great weight to the title “parents” and I just pray that by God’s grace, we can fulfill our roles well and become the best parents this baby could ever need or ask for.
4. Abundance in All Aspects (Open doors and God-given Opportunities) for me and Ico – When we got married, Ico and I really claimed and believed God’s abundance and grace in our lives as a couple. True enough, God has shown us His faithfulness and we’ve never lacked since (praise God!). By His provision alone, we were able to fend for our needs even with the challenges that came along the way. This year, we continue to claim abundance in all aspects especially with new opportunities and open doors. We claim that this year, we will see His goodness increase!
5. Good health and Abundance in our Families – Ico and my parents are very hard-working, even at their age when others have already decided to retire, they still tirelessly earn for themselves and for the rest of the family. My prayer for this year is that they remain healthy and that God grant them supernatural protection and strength. And that God would bless them greatly, like how He has blessed us.
6. Greater grace and supernatural breakthroughs for Delight Cambodia (DMI)– A church that we are part of, I pray that this year would give way to greater breakthroughs and supernatural abundance! God is glorified!
7. Grace for travels – I really really really want to travel to other places, to see new things and experience different cultures. And Myanmar is on top of that list, close to my heart and close to our base as well. But perhaps this is more like wishful thinking rather than a prayer, with the baby coming and all. But by His grace, nothing is impossible so I’m claiming at least one travel to a new nation this year! In Jesus name!
8. Deeper Covenant Relationships – One of the big lessons I learned in 2013 was that covenant friends (real friends) don’t come easily. Trials test even the closest relationships, and in those trials its a sad realization that some of those relationships are easily shaken. I pray that this year, I would come to terms with people I truly have covenant relationships with, and that God would lead me to real covenant relationships He meant for me.
9. Peace and justice in Cambodia – A nation now I call my second home, Cambodia is currently going through major transition. This year I pray for greater peace between civil, NGOs and Government sectors. I know its not an easy prayer but with God, nothing is impossible..
10. More opportunities to bless others – As Ico and I continue to pursue our expertise in the fields where God called us, I pray for more opportunities to excel and be a blessing to people He has given- through our work and ministry. May God continue to open doors to influence and be a blessing to others.
By faith, I believe and claim that God will grant His grace and favor to make these prayers into reality this year.
Psalm 65:11 (NASB)
You have crowned the year with Your bounty,
And Your paths drip with fatness.
Now, I encourage you to start to pray, reflect and write your own 10 prayers/declarations for 2014 and see how God will accomplish them!